The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme. It is an employment generation programme, implemented in consonance with the enforcement of the section 4 of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act 2005 (NREGA). The scheme is funded on the basis of 90:10 Centre and State. Initially, the Government of India allotted one District for implementation of NREGA in the State. Accordingly, Mon District with its backward status was selected as Phase-I NREGA District for implementation of the Scheme during 2005-2006. However the actual implementation could start during 2006-2007 only. Since 2008-2009 all districts in the State have been covered under NREGS through GOI notification. Objective of the Scheme:
- To provide 100 days of guaranteed employment in a financial year to every household in the rural areas notified by Central Government under Section 3 (1) of the NREGA and whose adult members, by application, are willing to do unskilled manual works.
- To create durable assets in rural areas.
- To strengthen the livelihood resource base of the rural poor and
- Ultimately to enhance the livelihood security of the rural households.
Under the programme, the Govt. of India, through their notification, has raised the unskilled wage from Rs. 118 per day per person to Rs. 135 which was further raised to Rs. 155 from the fiscal 2014- 2015 onward for the State of Nagaland. Men and women will be paid equal wages under the scheme. A material cost component of projects including the wages of the skilled and semi-skilled workers involved under the scheme shall not exceed 40% of the total cost project.
Unemployment Allowance condition is also a part of the scheme. A person who is registered under the scheme and who has not applied for employment but is not given employment within 15 days shall be entitled to receive unemployment allowances at the rate of 1⁄4 per day beyond that. Incase of failure to provide work when the funds are available, the State has to bear the cost of unemployment allowance.
- As per the Schedule 1 of the Act, Para 1B of amended schedule, the following works are permissible under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
- Water conservation and water harvesting including contour trenches, contour bunds, boulder checks, gabion structures, underground dykes, earthen dams and spring shed development;
- Drought proofing including a forestation and tree plantation;
- Irrigation canals including micro and minor irrigation works;
- Provision of irrigation facility, dug out farm pond, horticulture, plantation, farm bunding and land development on land owned by households specified in paragraph 1C of Schedule 1;
- Renovation of traditional water bodies including de-silting of tanks;
- Land development;
- Flood control and protection works including drainage in water logged areas including deepening and repairing of flood channels, chaur renovation, construction of storm water drains for coastal protection;
- Rural connectivity to provide all weather access, including culverts and roads within a village, whenever necessary.